A fun little Christmas themed meme from my Mom B. Have fun and make sure you steal it for your blog as well.
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Oh boy, that is really tough…egg nog.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Come on people, everyone knows Santa is too busy to wrap every single present…the elves do the wrapping.
3. Fake tree or real tree? Hands down…real tree, balsam pine. Mmmmm, smells so good. I am an absolute nut about my Christmas trees, I like them much bigger than I have room for, I like them fat and tall, when I look at houses or apartments the first thing I look at is how high the ceiling is, is it high enough for a big tree. It takes me at least an hour to pick out my tree, I have to go someplace where you can cut it down yourself. I make everyone wear mittens and hats even if its warm just so I have lots of items to “tag” prospective trees with. Ya, I know, nutty.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? Oh yes definately, the only problem is, wherever I’m standing, the dogs are nearby so…
5. When do you put up your decorations? Usually the weekend after Thanksgiving.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Green bean casserole with extra french fried onions.
7. Favorite Christmas memory as a child? We had a rule that you could get your stocking in the early morning, but presents had to wait until after breakfast, I loved “sneaking” out of my bedroom to get my stocking and then dumping it out on my bed.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don’t remember the age, but I began to notice that Santa’s handwriting looked alot like my mom’s. Hmmm…
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes, but someone else gets to choose it for you.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? We have a ton of ornaments, my Aunt got me a Hallmark Keepsake ornament every year for Christmas, I have a ton of those, so does the monkey, and so does my husband as his mom always gets them (and now us) a Keepsake ornament each year as well. I have pretty green, gold, and red balls too. I also have many old ornaments from my Papa Link, though I lost a few one year when the tree fell over. I cried.
11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I love it, I have been grumping alot recently as south-central PA doesn’t seem to get a lot of snow and I really am a snow nut. My husband is ready to ship me off to Alaska.
12. Can you ice skate? Oh yes, one of my favorite Christmas presents as a kid was a pair of figure skates from my Dad, I still have them and they still fit. He would take me to this pond out in the middle of the woods and shovel off a spot so we could skate. It’s one of my fondest winter memories with Dad.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? That’s a hard one, I have two. My figure skates from my Dad and also back when my Papa Link was alive he would get me a really great book each year, always signed by the author, and he would always write something silly in it too. His daughter was a librarian in a big city so he had “connections”.
14. What’s the most important thing about Christmas for you? Family, sometimes to a fault. I always want to see everyone all on Christmas day.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Perry’s always makes this peppermint ice cream at Christmas time, and rather than scooping it, you slice it and it’s green with a white Christmas tree shape in the center with crushed peppermint candy in the tree.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? OK, this one just demonstrates how nutty my family is, we have a tradition that on Christmas day, when you answer the phone/door, whoever yells, “CHRISTMAS PRESENT!” first, the caller or answerer, gets an extra gift. It’s always something small like candy, lotion, an ornament, bubble bath, or a candle and it’s only us women that do it, but we get quite competitive and usual argue over who said it first. One year my Aunt Brenda cheated and emailed all of us at midnight on Christmas morning saying, “Christmas Present”. We made a rule that year that email doesn’t count. Yup, we’re crazy.
17. What tops your tree? Hmm, good question, my husband and I can’t find either of our tree toppers this year so we are in the market for our first tree topper together as a family. Any suggestions?
18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? I love to give gifts, I like to watch when people open them to see their response, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t like receiving, especially when a lot of thought and time went into the gift.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? I don’t have a favorite song, but my all time favorite Christmas album is the Carpenter’s Christmas album, I grew up listening to that record every single year. I love it.
20. Do you like Candy Canes? I like to use them to stir my cocoa with, yum.